Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Last Day of Lectures

Today was my last day of school at UCT. I still have exams, but they are spread over a three week period of time. It went by so fast! I would say my classes at UCT were comparable to my UW classes, but I definitely had much more work load at Wisconsin. The thing I disliked to most about UCT was the grading scale. When I first read the conversions, I couldn't believe that a 75% was an A. Then I started getting used to receiving a 65% on a paper that would have earned me at least a 90% at Wisconsin. It is very strange here, it is unheard of to get a 90% or even grades in the upper 80's. Students are pleased with 60%'s. Also, for the majority of my UCT classes, we had very few assignments. For example, in my Sacred Art course, we had one 1,000 word essay, one 2,500 word essay, one 750 word in class essay, and a weekly reading. We haven't had a single test in that class, and the final will be worth 50% of my grade. That is how the majority of the classes are set up, where you have sparse course work and then the final is worth 50-60% of your grade. I'm not complaining, it was very nice only having to write a few essays and do readings for my classes each week but it puts a lot of stress on finals. With that said, I probably should be studying this week, but instead I am going to Namibia! I'm (hopefully) leaving tomorrow morning and as long as the border crossing goes smoothly, we will be in Namibia tomorrow afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment